Black Bean Salad with Grilled Chicken

Black Bean Salad with Grilled Chicken

It's diet time. It really has nothing to do with a new year resolution, but rather a sobering visit to the doctors "official" scale.

It's time to break out my old tried and true favorite diet recipes which includes a lot of salads, chicken and fish. No fad diets or shakes for me, the only way to lose weight is to eat in moderation, keep a food journal, and most important, work out on a regular basis.

I like to make a big batch of this black bean salad. It's easy to keep track of how many calories are in it, it's filling and satisfying on it's own, or it goes great with a little chicken or fish.

Black Bean Salad with Chicken
(printable recipe)

Makes 4 servings

Pre grilled chicken cut into strips (optional)
1 can 14oz black beans
1/2 can of yellow corn
½ cup diced tomatoes
¼ cup chopped red bell pepper
1/8 cup chopped red onion
¼ cup chopped fresh cilantro
Juice of 1 lemon
2 tbsp olive oil
Salt and pepper

Drain and rinse beans. Combine all ingredients in a bowl and toss. Serve chilled or at room temperature. All quantities can be adjusted to your preference

I love my black bean salad dressed simply with lemon juice and olive oil, but if you like cilantro, you should try this Cilantro Dressing, it's delicious on this salad!


This is a fabulous vegetarian salad without the chicken!

7 comments:

  1. Healthy, colorful and with chicken.. what can be better? :) nice recipe

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks beautiful and I definitely need the diet after the holidays. I'm just not ready to start yet. I'm still in the soup and stew phase of winter!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so happy that I have some company for diet now :) I have been thinking of putting up some healthy recipes on my blog too, since I am on a diet myself. You are right, the key to losing weight (and not putting it back on) is to trash the FAD diets and go the healthy, balanced diet way. This salad looks oh so appetizing, I am definitely going to give this a go! It would add some variety to my daily dose of veggies too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a beautiful and tasty dish!! No foolin' it's the working out regularly that does it. A few years ago I traded a standing on my feet all day job for a work at home from my computer job, and the lbs just piled on- it took a year of steady working out to get back into my professional clothes! Good luck! With food like this, eating is still enjoyable and satisfying!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That looks so amazing! I love black beans so that just so sensational! Good luck with the not a diet "diet"! haha

    ReplyDelete
  6. what a great-looking dish - and judging by the description, what a great-tasting dish, too! Yeah, this is going to have to go on the to-do list ...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great pictures Tiffany! I know what you mean about that darn scale... ugh! You have a dish here that I think I could eat each and every day. All the ingredients are our favorites. Perfect any time of year!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments!