Butternut Squash & Roasted Red Pepper Soup


This soup was one of my first posts back when I started this blog, and we haven’t made it since. Since the weather is cooling and it seems everyone is making some kind of squash these days, I thought it would be a good time to make it again.

This time, we switched up the ingredients a little bit. I did not like the quality (or the price) of the sweet potatoes in the store, so I skipped it this time. I also had 2 red bell peppers that needed to be eaten, so I added those. Otherwise, it’s pretty close to the original recipe, which I have to admit I like a little bit better, but this variation is pretty darn good too!

Ingredients:

1 lb. diced and peeled butternut squash
2 red bell peppers
1 cup chopped carrot
1 medium red onion
1 large tomato
1 tbsp ground coriander
Pinch of red chili flakes
4 garlic cloves finely minced
2 tbsp olive oil
1 bay leaf
3 cups chicken or vegetable broth
Salt and pepper
Grated Parmesan
Fresh parsley, chopped, to serve

Directions:

Roast squash, red bell peppers, tomato, onion and garlic in oven for about 20-30 minutes. See how to roast vegetables here.

In a large thick bottomed pot or dutch oven, heat 2 tablespoons of olive oil. Add the squash, roasted red peppers, carrots, onion, garlic, coriander and red chili flakes. Cook on medium heat, without browning, for about 5 minutes, or until soft.

Pour just enough stock to cover the vegetables. Add the bay leaf and season with salt and pepper. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to low. Cover and simmer for about 35 minutes, or until the vegetables are tender.

Remove the bay leaf and transfer all to a blender. Puree until smooth, return to the pot. Add more stock or water to attain the desired consistency. Season with salt and pepper.

To serve, garnish with a sprinkle of paprika and fresh chopped parsley.
 Enjoy!

14 comments:

  1. I made my first butternut soup last year and really liked it! Like the addition of the peppers in yours, will have to put this one in my to do file!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love butternut and roasted pepper soups- never tried them together. I also love the addition of coriander in this. I have a butternut I need to eat, so this may be the treatment it gets. Thanks for a great post!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This soup looks really good, what a great fall dish!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I too use butternut squash in my Spice Swirl Soup along with veggies on hand to roast. But I also find roasting cut eggplant to be an excellent thickener to my soup and it is not expensive. Here is the link to my soup:
    http://tinyurl.com/ndokth (at Scribd.com)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Now this looks like my kind of soup, perfect for the cooling temps these fall days!

    Bon appetit!
    CCR
    =:~)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for your kind words! Your pictures are wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks exquisite! I will be making this soon, thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Tried the recipe and it tasted great! Thank you for sharing this.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What's the serving size for this receipt?

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've made the vegan version of this soup and it was fabulous! Thank you for sharing this great recipe:)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Just made this and LOVE it! Sweet, tangy, spicy, creamy, and healthy! Totally going to be a go to soup for me.

    just wondering, is there a reason to not include the carrot in the roasting? I left it out and it turned out fine but wasn't as soft as the other veggies. Also, the ingredients listed grated parmesan but the directions dont say when to add, im assuming just at the end for garnish?

    ReplyDelete
  12. Just made this and i LOVE IT! Tangy, sweet, spicy, creamy and healthy too!

    Just wondering if theres a reason the carrot isnt roasted too? left it out till the pot and wasnt as soft as the other veggies but came out fine. Also, ingredients list includes parmesan but directions leave it out, im assuming its added last.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I have been making this soup for the last two years and as I'm making it tonight I figured I should thank you for this recipe. It is my family's favorite butternut soup recipe! So so delicious and not too sweet like so many others I have tried. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments!