Burrata Cheese

I was recently introduced to a cheese that I pretty much fell in love with. Yes, it is Italian, go figure.

We enjoyed this perfect late summer snack of juicy heirloom tomatoes and Burrata cheese served on fresh bread. Simple and amazing.

The occasion was a send off of sorts for our dear friend Shannon of Grape Hops who just left for a six week adventure in Italy. Shannon is an amazing and ambitious woman with an incurable passion for travel, food and good wine. Not only did she introduce me to this amazing Italian cheese, but she also introduced me to my husband!

Burrata cheese is an Italian cheese made from mozzarella and cream. The outer shell is solid mozzarella while the inside contains both mozzarella and cream, giving it a soft texture. It should be served fresh, it is particularly perishable, and is best at room temperature. 

I found this article to be a good source of information in The Wine News Magazine. It also includes some recipes that I know I will try. 

Thanks again Shannon, may your travels be safe and abundant of tasty adventures!


Burrata

7 comments:

  1. Excellent article! I remember when you first talked of the cheese, but still have not seen it. I will have to make a renewed effort!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks delicious. My family is half Sicilian, so I know exactly where you're coming from!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You need to join the Facebook Group that Shannon started called Burrata Freaks: http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=116307901726929&

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've never met an Italian cheese I didn't like!

    ReplyDelete
  5. My nearby Trader Joe's just started carrying burrata and I'm thrilled! I first had it a few months ago with roasted beets and it was fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Having very close Italian friends that come to visit or we go to them over the years, I too, have become a huge fan of Burrata cheese. Thankfully, I don't see them except about once a year. Otherwise, I'd be VERY chubby! Great recipe and thanks for sharing - I know you can get Burrata state side, but I tend to keep it as a special - only-eat-it-in-Italy-treat. :) Ciao!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I just recently been introduced to this and it is delicious,if you won't mind I'd love to guide Foodista readers to this post.Just add the foodista widget to the end of this post and it's all set, Thanks!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments!