This recipe was originally from Simply Recipes and just slightly modified.
- 2 cups chopped onion
- 4 garlic cloves, chopped fine
- 1 cup chopped green pepper
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 (35 oz) cans stewed tomatoes, crushed
- 2 (15 oz) cans kidney beans, drained
- 1 (15 oz) can of corn
- 2 Tbsp tomato paste
- 3/4 cup chicken stock
- 2 Tbsp chili powder (we used 4 Tbsp, we like it hot!)
- 1 Tbsp ground cumin
- 1 Tbsp dried hot red pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 Tbsp salt, plus more if desired to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 3 to 4 cups of shredded, cooked turkey meat
- Garnish with shredded cheddar or parmesan cheese, chopped red onion, and I like Fritos too!
Instructions1 In a large, 8-quart, thick-bottom pot, cook the onion and green pepper over medium high heat, stirring, until golden, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic, chili powder, cumin, and red pepper flakes and cook, stirring, for 2 minutes. Add a bit more olive oil if needed.
2 Add tomatoes, tomato paste, stock, corn, beans, oregano, salt, pepper, and cooked turkey meat. Bring mixture to a simmer and reduce heat to low. Simmer, uncovered, for an hour.
3 Salt to taste. Add 1 to 3 teaspoons of sugar to take the edge of the acidity of the tomatoes if desired.
The chili may be made in advance and chilled for 2 days, or frozen for 2 months.
Serve with shredded cheddar cheese, chopped red onion. Serve with corn bread or warm tortillas.
Makes about 12 cups.